Our recipe for gingerbread men is an excellent for treat for children, and it makes a nice homemade dessert for Christmas.
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Find a large bowl, mix together the margarine and sugar until smooth. Add in molasses and egg yolk. Blend the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; Mix in the molasses mixture until smooth. Cover, and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool.
Originally posted 2015-11-02 17:12:22.